Rotation Week 3: Emotive Type | Campaigns | Software Induction



EMOTIVE TYPE //

For our first task of the graphics rotation we were required to change a typeface to reflect a mood. There was a list of emotions on the board that we had to interpret and come up with a visual representation using the typeface. 


This emotion was frustration. I hope the scrumpled paper look was enough to say frustration 


This was Joy. I went off of the phrase 'Bubbling with Joy'. To this very moment i'm not too sure whether that is a legitimate phrase but oh well. It felt right and therefore the letter 'A' is bubbling with joy


Shy


Surprise


Confidence


Nervous


Chaos


Anger


They were all different shapes and sizes which was pretty cool. I also managed to use a different materials for each of them so there was a uniqueness to them. 

CAMPAIGNS //

Our next task was to create a campaign about a topic or issue we were passionate about. I began by researching important quotes from over the years about a range of topics, going from racism to sexism to politics and then to youth. 


I settled for 'Conformity is Painful' because I thought it was short, snappy and it was very thought provoking. It speaks to the youth and it can also have political connotations as well which are very important these days especially with new and young voters in England. Being politically aware is a key element to growing up, especially in London. However, beside that it could just be really simple and suggest that someone shouldn't just fit in because they feel like they should, its promoting independence, its promoting uniqueness, standing out of a crowd and being different. There are many ways that this phrase may be interpreted which Is why I chose to use it. 

6 initial ideas were essential, it helped a lot in giving me a visual representation of any sort of idea that was floating around in my head. I tried out a few other phrases just to see how they'd fare against my current ones.



This is a GIF I made in response to my work. I made it at home on photoshop by stitching loads of edited PNG images together. I had to move the word 'Conformity' downwards a couple of frames and then save it as a PNG, move it down, save it, move it down, save it. It was tedious and tiring, I had to eventually stop after 128 separate PNGs.





I felt it was pretty successful. I managed to capture exactly what I had imagined it to be. The only thing I would want different is for the animation to continue right down to the bottom of the frame. However upon reconsideration it fits quite well as it begins to disappear at eye level.

This was another one I created that was inspired by Ed Fella in the way he uses a multitude of different fonts as well as his unconventional use of composition. 


I decided to use a bunch of words to describe what conformity is so that not only it helps to compliment the range of fonts but so that the message can reach more people and provoke more thoughts. As there are many ways in which conformity can be described there is a wider chance that someone can relate to it and therefore understand the purpose of the gif.



notes about conformity.

These two poster designs were sort of an improvement on my previous designs. These went well in places but could be improved in others. The main thing was that they could visually communicate the idea a lot better than the previous ones. Although the message may still not be one hundred percent clear it is still an improvement on the original idea.


This was arguably the most successful of the pair as the 'conformity' seems overpowering and monstrous in comparison to the 'silence' which has visibly been hushed by the sheer vastness and scale of the 'conformity'.

This piece was based more off of a class system format. The 'conformity' being in a triangle grid may not be as clear as I had hoped. Something I have also failed to capture is the 'power'. How do I make 'power' powerful? That was a design problem I really needed overcoming in order to make this a least bit successful.

SOFTWARE INDUCTION //

We were all given a software induction so that we had a minimal introduction to the sort of software that we would be using. I already have a great amount of experience with the software they were using and, luckily for some, a lot of the skills are transferable.















Comments