Rotation Week 4: Formal Elements | Tate Visit | Film


PHOTOGRAPHY //

FORMAL ELEMENTS // 


I am very familiar with the formal elements of photography and the many ways they can be used to alter and add to a photograph.

LIGHT:



Distorting light was a surprisingly difficult one because that day had particularly moody weather and therefore there wasn't much natural light at all. I had to rely on artificial light as well as shiny surfaces to use for my photographs. Thankfully the NOW Gallery has a funky roof with many light strips on the underside which, when edited, can become very vivid and interesting. 

SYMMETRY 




TEXTURE & PATTERN


RULE OF THIRDS


TATE MODERN VISIT //

Visiting the Tate for our contextual trip was certainly alright, it meant I didn't have to travel much and I'm a fan of some of the things Tate has to offer. I chose Daido Moriyama as the artist to study because I have seen some of his work before and I was always interested in studying him though I never got the opportunity. 




IMAGES REFLECTING A MOOD // 

We were set a task over two of the days that required us to take photographs that reflected a certain mood. I didn't manage to complete the task fully but I was able to capture what I could. 


This image reflected sadness, it isn't the most exciting or inventive picture however the shape alone was enough for me. It was essentially a box ticker for me. 


This image was for echo, the pattern of the carpet acts as a reverberating effect that you get with an echo. I thought it was quite fortunate that they were laying down this carpet at the exact time we were there as it was an easy choice. 


Although, saying that, this could be a contender for echo. The reflections of the lights inside can be evocative of the sound waves behaviour when they are echoed. 


HAPPY 


SAD, FALL


CRUSH

FILM //

Film was very brief, we explored a few camera and film techniques but spent most of the day creating small videos in response to the techniques we had just learned about. One of them I sadly don't have access to but it involved a 'jump cut' and was about an individual who would walk into one lift and then suddenly appear to be coming out of another lift. It was pretty simple but we managed to use the jump cut technique which was the main goal. 

The most successful response to a technique was the continuous shot. The continuous shot required us to capture a whole story without the camera cutting. This was certainly difficult because my group had to make sure we were all aware of what we were doing. Our choreography was the toughest part. As we couldn't cut the shot we had to all be in the right place at the right time as we couldn't edit anything. 

The end result







Comments