Pathway Week 8: Catalysts Continued


Continuing my research into structures with homing-the-homeless intentions I am looking into anti homeless spikes that are used as a deterrent for rough sleepers. They are usually scattered around commercial properties to ensure people do no loiter and use their land for refuge. Morally, I think its wrong. These types of structures are commonly referred to as defensive architecture, hostile architecture and defensive urban architecture.


I think what is most interesting about the is their shape, some of them are particularly dangerous and others not so much. 


It may be possible to use their shape as a starting point for my design. 

I believe the best way to tackle this is to contradict what commercial companies are enforcing. These spikes outside of their buildings are ugly and inhumane to say the least. They are suggesting that they won't even permit people around the outside of their building let alone inside it, personally I think they send a horrible message about the company and make the property less inviting and attractive


This was done using Google Sketchup and was genuinely pretty difficult to pull of. I need to get used to combining curves with straight lines. However, I think it is successful in communicating what I am envisioning. My idea is to create a spike like structure and modify it to contradict what a spike usually suggests. 





I have modified the shape of the structure by reducing the height of the roof. This also gives the impression that the spike has been blunted, although people won't realise this (which is a shame) it is still a direct inspiration for the design. The original design of a large spike, inspired by hostile architecture designed to keep people off of certain properties, has been reduced to this design. The idea that a threat no longer exists is a welcoming thought, especially for those who are vulnerable. This is aimed to communicate that idea. 




In order to further my design and also pull in some of my research, each of the segments around the building are able to be taken off. This ties in the method of prefabrication which reduces cost and time and allows a structure to be more mobile and accessible. 

 Richard Rogers prefab structure in MItcham, South London

Each of the segments will include single rooms, similar to the Single Room Occupancy Hotels that were popular in America during the 70's. 


When I look back over my design I would like to say I'm am fairly happy with the outcome. I feel like I have managed to create something out of nothing, essentially. Although my ideas weren't very plentiful I think I was able to manage with what I had and create something that both reflected my intentions and my research. 


PRESENTATION SHEETS:




Comments