Pathway Week 9: Individualisation Project


INDIVIDUALISATION


My clients information was pretty challenging to work with. In order to get somewhere I felt I had to change some of the keywords. I didn't want to go completely out of my way to change what words I had to work with so i used synonyms.


One word I got particularly caught up on was the word 'metal'. After adding some synonyms and related words I came across the term 'malleable'. Malleable was a relief to find because I felt I could be much more experimental with my project. 

Having said that, These are my responses to the term 'malleable'.





I felt that curved paper folding would be a great way, both time and cost wise, of exploring the word malleable. These experiments came out much better than I had expected. Having researched techniques for paper folding I had seen a fair few examples which were genuinely impressive. 

This is definitely my most successful experiment. My project was all about building my client a cabin, I felt that in terms of trying to realise the idea, this would give me the best chance. The shape of the structure also resembles a shelter. 

I used my paper model to help myself make a render in Google Sketchup




This is probably my most difficult model to date, The tricky part was creating the slanting roof. Although the roof wasn't originally slanted on the paper model I just wanted to add that detail on my render. I'm not too sure whether I will keep it, it certainly adds to the aesthetic. However in terms of success I'd say that this model was a successful one.


Putting my model under review, the scale of the thing was just too much. It's intended to be a cabin and there aren't many cabins that are this huge, otherwise they'd just be considered houses, mansions even.
The section highlighted above is a the part I am going to keep and focus on.


The size of the remaining section is a great size to work with. Breaking it down leaves me a possible three rooms to work with, that may be more space than a traditional cabin but luckily I am not designing a traditional cabin, this is a contemporary cabin. These days, bigger is better... apparently.








Comments