FMP | #1




/ What is Social Housing


By looking into what social housing is and how it works I have been able to further my knowledge on my chosen topic. It is incredibly vital that I am up to date with what it is I am tackling otherwise my project may be misinformed.

/ Articles about the social housing crisis

I am aware that there is a housing crisis in this country, that was a main influence on why I wanted to pursue a project like this. I, myself, live on a council estate and I wouldn't prefer to live anywhere else. I feel I have an odd sense of responsibility on this topic as I have been living in council owned property my whole life. 

Upon reading a number of articles, all loosely based around the issue of social housing in the UK, they all seem to point to one aver-arching opinion, that they are failing and they are generally disliked by the government, authorities and the people who live near them. Reading said articles has led me to be quite taken aback by some of the opinions and descriptions of events expressed by people on the issue of social housing. 

Example 1:



https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/18/-sp-truth-about-gentrification-how-woodberry-down-became-woodberry-park  

This one article I found focused on an estate in north-east London called Woodbury Down. The estate recently underwent a redevelopment and has been viewed with negativity and resentment from current and former residents. This article stood out to me as the opinions expressed from both the residents and the tabloid were very striking. 


This statement is one amongst many that show how unfairly the residents were treated. What I find most interesting about these sorts of statements is that it seems as if the housing association leading the development of the area are seeming opposed to all of the residents. It seems like the residents have lost control of where they live and are suffering at the hands of some, very typical, gentrification.


/ Research into existing social housing complexes

I found Balfron Tower to be a really great example of social housing that has worked well. The building itself has been listed as Grade II which is an impressive statement for something I don't find particularly attractive.

I'd like to understand what made it so successful. I am aware that the building is built in a Brutalist style by Erno Goldfinger, there are a few examples of buildings within London that have also been built in the same style and are also regarded as great buildings such as the Barbican estate and the Southbank Centre.

I don't believe that the style in which a building is built particularly contributes to the success of a building, although there is a trend with those built in a Brutalist fashion. My belief is that its possibly down to the notion that a Brutalist building is more durable and long-standing that their modern counterparts. They use strong and sturdy materials like concrete and steel and are built in a very rough and make-do way. They are built more-so for purpose instead of their aesthetic and contribution to modern architecture. Balfron Tower was built in 1965 and became Grade II listed in 1996, meaning that for over 20 years the tower hasn't undergone and refurbishments or construction work to the exterior because of its 'untouchable' Grade II status.










Comments