FMP | #11


Model 2

The next model was more straightforward than the first, theoretically its simpler and quicker to make. 



Getting the file from digimaps was simple enough, though the section they allow you to save was too small for me so I had to save two sections and then stitch them together. It was a lingering thought to create 3D models of the surrounding buildings and having access to digimaps allowed me to do that. The great thing about it is that I could select the shapes of the buildings and then just cut them separately. Once cut I just layered them up to a decent height and stuck them together. 



The only issue I have had with this model is the material I cut it from. A lot of it was engraved, especially the water areas. The engraving caused the wood to become very thin and delicate and thus meant the board was prone to damage. I had to glue a slab of the same size wood on the underneath to keep it solid and secure. 

Model 3:

My last model was a lot of fun to make, except for the amount of glue I had to use. I decided to use a type of instant Loctite glue as it leaves less residue behind than the UHU glue. It was better because it hardened faster and it didn't require me to clean the joints after because of the mess made. 




The panels were the hard part of this model, as with a lot of the model making, the math was the part I had to take my time with. Thankfully there weren't any panels that were completely wrong. 


The only problem I had with the panels was the material thickness that I had failed to take into account. Every now and then I would have to shave a fraction of the length off with some scissors so that it would fit in with the floor plan measurements and not impede on another panel. 





  

The overall state of the model was great. There were a few areas where I reckon I could have taken more care, especially with the making of the panels. They required spray painting in order to achieve the colour and to also cover up the burn marks from the laser cutting. Whilst they were drying they were laying on a surface that interfered with the paint and so some of the panels have a bubbly surface of dried spray paint. 

However, I am more than pleased with the standard of my models this far. 





Comments