FMP | #10



Making week...


    



Currently I am very, very pleased with the current standard of my model. I am completely aware that there is a heap of touching up to do.

The model was incredibly fiddly to construct and I ran into a lot of issues along the road from laser cutter to this. Firstly, I underestimated my laser cutting files and assumed the slant in the windows would be easy to pull off. I had to do a lot of gluing and modifying to achieve the standard I wanted.

I used UHU glue which has ended up leaving loads of stringy residue all over the model. Some of the mount board has also been stained with leftover glue. I may need to find a way to remove all of that.


The Cement block I bought From Wickes was a successful purchase. I was looking for something that would help reflect the nature of my building. I also wanted something that was similar in colour so that it wouldn't take too much attention away from the model. The idea is that the cement block would be suggestive of the material, the robustness and the brutalist architectural style whilst also helping to accentuate the shape and form of the models




My scale for this building is 1:200, the size of the scale models simply wouldn't allow me to glue them onto the rough surface of the cement block so I had to use a slice of balsa wood which was a successful last ditch effort to get my scale figure on my model. 




I think overall the making for this model was entirely successful. The only parts that had hindered my in any way were the gluing the inside to get the slanted window effect. They were simply cut, they needed to be set in place by gluing tabs of mountboard into the inside so the slanted window is fixed into place. That took a huge chunk of time. 

Sourcing the material I used to mount it took longer than I had expected. I anticipated B&Q would have sufficed but they let me down big time. Wicked came in handy. It would have been much better If I had this idea earlier on in the project so that I wouldn't have to frantically search for one so close to the hand in date.

I like the colour palette, I find it to be very reflective of cement and its properties and therefore very reflective of my Model. 





Comments