Pathway Week 6: Three R's Continued & Presentation Sheets







Refining the shape and using multiplication to my advantage really gave me and edge. It allowed me to really develop my idea into something more complex. The one simple ring-shape just wasn't enough for it to speak for itself. After spending a while orientating the shape and playing around with different combinations I reached this conclusion. The rotation of the shape and the interlocking nature gave it a very interesting pattern on the inside.


     


I think my desire to make the model into something useful may have gotten in the way. The repetition of the shape created a tunnel-like form, the interior of the 'tunnel' was incredibly intricate and definitely interesting. My vision, at the time, was to have it as a tunnel or a walkway but even despite wanting to do that I just couldn't see it being a feasible idea.



After realising that my idea wasn't very practical I then rotated the whole structure to make it stand up. I had taken my inspiration from my research into Richard Serra's Fulcrum. The cylindrical elements aren't fixed together, they rest upon each other using their sheer weight to keep them in place, that is the idea anyway. The Fulcrum in Liverpool Street is similar in design. The sculpture is constructed of four huge steel sheets that rest onto each other to create the sculpture. They are all holding each others weight. 




Presentation Sheets








Comments