Pathway week 11: Beyond the Fundamental





The title for my project is absurd. An ice rink for a car park seems like two things that should never be mixed.

These are a few examples of Ice rinks:

Examples of Car parks:


In order for me to get my head around this all and try and get some ideas down I needed to make a mindmap. This mindmap is to see what words link or relate to the words 'Ice Rink' and 'Car Park'. I did this to simplify things and possibly find something that includes both of the words. 
What I discovered was a thing called 'Black Ice'. Black ice is a thing commonly found on roads, which was brilliant. It is a type of ice that is almost transparent, giving if the black colour because of the road beneath it. It is of course very slippery. That ties in both the use of Ice on a surface and The use of a vehicle and a road, things that are fundamental to a car park.


This is my site:


The site itself is a pretty good space to work with, it is open and fairly regular in terms of shape. There is only one neighbouring building and the area is also under redevelopment so a building site is nothing out of the ordinary.


The thing I am most interested about in terms of car parks are the very common helical-like ramps that help vehicles travel up the floors, not only are they very purposeful with their space and intent, they are also quite attractive structures. 



However with that in mind, I feel like this structure and the use of ice reminds me of something very similar. 

Thankfully Bobsledding is a thing. This feels very similar to what I have in mind. Both of the things I am working with, a slippery surface and a vehicle both essentially create this. The good thing about this project is that it doesn't have to be entirely realistic, I have in mind wouldn't be far off of possible.












Comments