FMP | #9


Measurements: 

Working out the measurements for the final outcome model was incredibly difficult, my main problem being the scale. I hadn't figured one out yet and so any measurement was meaningless. Settling for a scale of 1:100 allowed me to create a model a decent size and also allowed my drawings to be a decent size. 


I knew that this was always going to be the difficult part of the design process because I have never been strong with my maths, however I had never anticipated this. I couldn't work out the sizes of the rooms simply based on my scale because I was completely unaware of how big a room was relative to me. That was a big problem because it really slowed down my progression with this final outcome design. 




I wanted to push myself and actually produce a floor plan that not only laid out the design for the building and where each apartment will go, but also what will be in those apartments. As my design only allowed for windows on one side of the apartments I had to create my design with that in mind. I was under the impression that the law states you should have a window in each bedroom. The problem I was facing was the layout of my apartments. I wanted preferably 3 bedroom but I couldn't facilitate that sort of layout with the lack of windows in each apartment. 


After some refining I had to settle for just two bedrooms which, looking at it now, isn't so bad. I have tried to use natural light as the basis of my apartment's floor plan. The front of the apartment is separated into three chunks with a living area in the middle, neighboured by a bedroom either side. 


I am very happy with the current standings in regards to my design. I feel that despite the hard process of reaching a final design I am very pleased with what I am pursuing. It's also especially settling knowing that my floor plan is coming together very well. Each of the apartments sit flush, side by side and waste no space. The have a slight modular feel to them, and seeing as they're space efficient they link very well, albeit very loosely, to Sol LeWitt 







Comments